Sunday, December 13, 2009

"Little King."

I knew I loved him. Everyone hated him in the first one.. but he was my favorite character. Dan used Edmund and really Chronicles of Narnia as an example today.. and I need it. I really neeeeeeded it, to slap me in the face.

Set up: Scene where Pevensies are at battle grounds with Aslan and army and White Witch is carried up to Aslan. She announces to Aslan that Edmund was a traitor and that according to the law, all traitors belonged to her. She was to kill him and take his blood on the stone table the following day... as we all know, just as Jesus Christ took the punishment for our sins, Aslan took Edmunds punishment for him as well. BUT that's not what yelled at me from the screen. As the White Witch announces she is going to kill Edmund, Peter, being the protective brother, pulls out his sword and "dares" the queen to take Edmund. The White Witch scoffs at Peter, telling him that his power can't deny her her right to Edmund's blood and before she turns back to Aslan, she looks at Peter in the eyes and smirkingly remarks, "little king." She totally belittled Peter and his power but made a point. Edmund had made his choice, he was a traitor and he had provided the witch with all the power she needed to take his life. Peter was no match for the powerful witch and she had no problem letting him know that he was nothing compared to her.

Here is why this stood out to me: we are nothing. we cant find Satan on our own.. even if we fling our swords in his face.. without the King.. we are nothing. You see.. fear was all over Edmunds face because he knew what the witch was capable of. He knew her power but when he escaped the witch he also knew that Aslan was far greater so instead of staying near the witch and threatening to fight her, he went to Aslan to apologize and hide behind his great mane. Edmund knew he was nothing without the King of Narnia, whom loved him dearly and wanted nothing but to protect his prince.

I can relate to Edmund, like we all can. Satan puts things in our face that look "nice" and then we go for it and sin.. falling under the power and guidance of the Devil. But if we have the somewhat prideful attitude of Peter, Satan will just look at us and scoff, "little king." But if we realize like Edmund that without God we are nothing... that's when God's power can take over our lives and we are able to fight off the enemy.

Lately, i've been struggling. I'm just not happy. I dont feel comfortable anywhere, boys, friends, school, basketball, youth group, church, camp, everything. It's all so become so hard. Life itself is just so difficult. But I realized something tonight. I have been having the spirit of Peter. Trying to fight of the "Witch" on my own, and right when I try to fight one battle, the words scar my heart, "little king," and Satan shows his power by throwing another boulder on my shoulders.. but if I just had the spirit of Edmund. If i just hid in His mane. God would gladly help me. He would gladly fight for me. He wants me happy. He wants me. I need that spirit. I need to be humbled. It will become my daily prayer that I hide in the safe mane of the King lion.

How little I am. How big my God is.

No comments: