Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Faith.

Today I read two devotions. Both of the verses for each devotion were found in Hebrews. I tend to think of Hebrews just as a recount. As I read I tend to catch myself skimming because in some parts I just think it is "recapping" well known Bible stories. And in some ways my first thoughts are correct, it is recapping over some stories, but what I wasn't paying attention to is that it is emphasizing the attitudes of the characters in the stories.

Today I read Hebrews 11:3-4 and Hebrews 11:7. Hebrews 11:3-4 talked about Abel and the faith he had in God by giving him his very best for his sacrifice because he knew by faith that God wanted and deserved his very best. Even though Cain out of jealousy killed Abel, Abel still did what God wanted and in doing that pleased him and found favor in God's eyes. "Part of having faith is believing that God will fulfill His promises even though we don’t see those promises materializing yet." The second devotion had a single verse, Hebrews 11:7, and in that one verse it recapped Noah's life. It said that by faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear, built an ark to save his family. Noah had faith that everything God said was going to happen, he had faith that God would give him the strength to build an ark that seemed impossible at times, he had faith that in doing what God said, God's promise would be kept and his family would be saved. If you read on in Hebrews it continues to talk about men of faith.

All these men rely so much on the Father that they live purely on faith daily. Their faith in God is amazing to me. They daily asked God what he wanted them to do and even on the days it seemed he asked them to perform impossible tasks, by faith, they believed God would provide, and of course their faith was rewarded and God provided in ways the mind couldn't imagine.

I desire to have a faith like Noah, I want to seek God daily and hear his will for my life, and by faith, to serve him by doing exactly what he said. It's amazing what faith brings in your life. The Bible supplies you with SUCH encouragement on faith.

Job, David, Paul, Peter, Noah, Abel, Enoch, John, Abraham, Elijah, Joshua, Caleb, Esther, Daniel, Ruth, Mordecai and so many others.

The ski retreat gave me a desire to draw closer to God, the speaker was amazing but the worship was a tad discouraging, looking at all the youth groups who didn't give a care what was being said... all I could do was sit and READ the words at times.. just to realize what I was singing and not be distracted by all the phones, girls lying on guys shoulders, whispering, laughing, poking, sleeping and so much more. But by watching all this, it gave me a desire to NOT look like that. Because I KNOW that I did not think GOD when I looked around that room.

I also am thankful for such a youth group. Such an amazing, devoted, happy, encouraging, spirit filled youth group. God has specifically picked out those shepherds, you can tell by looking at them. I must say that the "spending time with the youth group" part of the trip was extravegant :]

oh goodness, today i have a lot to do. I am sending out Cambodia letters today, i have class, a game (pray that I feel good.. cause everytime I play basketball I feel so so sick), I have a bunch of spanish (yucky), a bunch of lit, and a bunch of oppertunities to serve God through my actions.

Walking by faith,
Daryl Munroe


p.s. why yes the picture is a picture from the ski retreat. why yes it is catherine, HG, stephie and myself. why yes converse are the best picture taking shoes. why yes its only four people. and why yes i love those three very very dearly.

1 comment:

Katie Smith said...

YOU'RE GOING TO CAMBODIA!?

I like how thats the only thing that I draw from this blog. haha.